GCP Cloud Solutions Architect
Morristown, NJ 07054 US
- The ideal candidate has helped build out a smaller to mid-sized GCP Cloud environment for a mid-sized corporation.
The Cloud Solutions Architect will design, deploy, and migrate systems for SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS environments. The solutions architect is responsible for identification and selection of appropriate cloud services based on requirements and constraints, has deep subject matter expertise, and can evaluate new technologies for fit in current infrastructure architecture.
We are looking for someone who relishes in the opportunity to take a hands-on approach and enjoys disseminating knowledge throughout our entire team of over 30 engineers.
Reporting to the AVP of Enterprise & Devops you will work closely with all IT teams and the PMO, understand our technologies deeply at both the infrastructure level and at the application development level and take proactive steps to enhance our platforms to drive more value to our customers.
You should already have deep technical expertise in a cloud platform and ideally exposure to GCP but regardless we will look to further your expertise though access to training platforms and events.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
Provide architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to IT engineers, Data Engineers and Software Developers.
- Develop and design roadmaps for investing in IT cloud infrastructure, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with our enterprise architecture, infrastructure, development, and security teams to identify and implement the most optimal cloud-based solutions for the company
- Responsible for the overall administration of DDNJ Cloud Platforms (GCP & Azure)
- Analyze the demand for IT/cloud services in order to generate forecast and capacity planning (e.g. low utilization, more optimal usage patterns or deployment options).
- Develop, document, and make recommendations for financial operations with IT/cloud infrastructure, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities and support of any show back/chargeback models.
- Develop and establish disaster recovery procedures and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Evangelize re-use through implementation of shared assets and solution architectures
- Establish and enforce adherence to architectural standards/principles, product-specific guidelines, usability design standards, etc through use of Policies and Automated Tests.
- Develop and execute test plans to check cloud infrastructure and systems technical performance. Report on findings and make recommendations for improvement.
- Work with our Enterprise Architect to document and develop in-depth knowledge of company’s existing IT cloud architecture/infrastructure, and technology portfolio.
- Provide effective knowledge transfer and upskilling to relevant team members and mentorship of junior team members.
- Commit to and enable the adoption of Infrastructure as Code ( IaC ) best practices for all of our cloud administrative and operational responsibilities.
Attention to Detail
Ability to Maintain Composure
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Technical and Functional
Exceptional understanding of cloud architectural patterns and practices
- Experience with GCP or equivalent public cloud and its relevant build, deployment, automation, networking and security technologies in cloud and hybrid environments.
- Firsthand experience of GCP or equivalent Platform products such as:
- Networking (Virtual Private Cloud, Cloud Load Balancing, Cloud Interconnect)
- Compute (Compute Engine, App Engine, Cloud Functions)
- Data (Cloud SQL, Cloud Spanner, BigTable, BigQuery, Storage)
- Configuration Mgmt. and Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Cloud Deployment Manager)
- Containers (GKE, Cloud Run)
- Security (Cloud Identity, Certificate Authority Service, Secret Manager)
- Strong knowledge of networking and internet protocols, including TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP/S
- Strong understanding of Security best practices including use of Key Stores, Certificates and OAuth
- Proficiency with CI/CD tools and Azure DevOps tooling and deployment automation best practices
- Familiar with Devops/SRE philosophies and delivery though Agile Methodologies (SCRUM, Kanban)
Required Physical Abilities
The physical demands described here represent those that an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to sit and perform extensive close keyboard and PC work.
- Ability to walk, talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms.
Ability to meet deadlines and attendance standards.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This classification will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Experience, Education, and Certifications Required
- 8+ years of IT experience
- 4+ years of experience deploying solutions to GCP or equivalent.
- 2+ years of architectural experience
- 2+ years of hands-on working experience administering GCP or equivalent.
- 1+ years of experience of managing environment though use of IAC and configuration mgmt.
Required Educational Level
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or MIS and relevant field of study is preferred.
- GCP Professional Cloud Architect